Gunnar is a Southwest Missouri native and grew up in Ash Grove. He received his law degree from the University of Missouri School of Law in 2022.
In law school, Gunnar was a member of the Board of Advocates Executive Board, an executive member of the Student Bar Association, president of the Tiedeman Inn chapter of Phi Delta Phi, the Mizzou Law Mock Trial champion his first-year, a Pupil in the Elwood L. Thomas American Inn of Court, and a teaching assistant for both Property I and Civil Procedure. He also worked in the Mizzou Law Veterans Clinic helping veterans and their families secure disability benefits.
Gunnar was selected as an Associate Member of the Missouri Law Review his second year of law school. He is published at 86 Mo. L. Rev. 625, “Indirect Initiative and Unpopular Referendum in Missouri.” In his third year, he served as the Associate Editor-in-Chief of the Senior Editorial Board.
For his undergraduate degree, Gunnar attended the University of Missouri–Columbia where he studied political science and was a fellow at the Kinder Institute of Constitutional Democracy. Throughout college, he worked as a Legal Intern in the Missouri Attorney General's Office. Gunnar worked as a political consultant in Jefferson City and as a development officer at Mizzou before attending law school.
Gunnar volunteers every summer for the American Legion Boys State of Missouri and works tirelessly to ensure students from Southwest Missouri are able to attend the program. He is an avid trivia buff, guitarist, and amateur chef. He enjoys spending time with his wife and dog outdoors.
Prior to joining Neale & Newman, Gunnar worked as a Summer Associate for the firm and served as a Judicial Intern for Chief Magistrate Judge David P. Rush of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri.
- University of Missouri School of Law, Columbia, Missouri, J.D., 2022
- Dean’s List
- Associate Editor-in-Chief, Missouri Law Review
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon Teaching Fellow, Civil Procedure & Property
- Student Advocate, Mizzou Law Veterans Clinic
- University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri, B.A., Political Science, 2016
- Undergraduate Fellow, Kinder Institute on Constitutional Democracy
- State of Missouri, 2022
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri, 2022
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri, 2022
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Fred L. Howard Prize for Excellence in the Advancement of Advocacy, University of Missouri School of Law, 2022
- Mizzou ’39 Award, University of Missouri, 2016
- The American Legion Boys State of Missouri, Volunteer Staff
- Ash Grove Area Community Foundation, Board of Directors
- Mizzou Alumni Association: Greater Ozarks Chapter, Board Member
- Indirect Initiative and Unpopular Referendum in Missouri, 86 Mo. L. Rev. 625 (2021)
Clerkships and Internships
- Judicial Intern to the Hon. Chief Magistrate David P. Rush, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri, 2020
- Legal Intern for Attorney General Chris Koster, Missouri Attorney General’s Office, 2013 to 2015