After graduating summa cum laude from Drury College in 1983 Dunaway received his law degree from the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law in 1986. In law school, he was a Dean’s list Honoree and was selected to be a member of the Board of Advocates.
Dunaway joined Neale & Newman, L.L.P. in 1986, and in 1991 became a partner. His practice is focused on workers’ compensation, but he also practices extensively in general civil litigation, which involves insurance law, employment law, defense of personal injury/damage claims, and business litigation. His practice also includes formation of companies, and general business matters. While a partner with Neale & Newman, Dunaway has served on various committees, including the Litigation Committee, Executive Committee, and Compensation Committee.
From 1987 to 1993, while with the firm, Dunaway was appointed Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Missouri. In 1994, he co-authored a chapter in the Missouri Bar’s Workers’ Compensation Law CLE Deskbook, which is commonly utilized as a reference tool by attorneys throughout Missouri.
Dunaway is also an active member of the community, having served as director, officer or member of various organizations, including the Breast Cancer Foundation of the Ozarks Advisory Board and the University Child Care Center Board. He is a founding member of Springfield Metro Rotary, and previously served on its Board as the Foundation Director. He just completed serving a six-year term on the board of Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Ozarks, in Springfield, and is a founding member of its Impact Circle. Dunaway has joined the board of Harmony House, a local domestic violence shelter.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Missouri Association of Trial Lawyers
- The Missouri Bar Association
Workers’ Compensation Committee, past vice-chair, 1999-2000; former Council member
- Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association
Workers’ Compensation Committee, past Chairman
Honors and Awards
- Selected to Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers, 2010 – 2018
- Springfield Business Journal Trusted Advisers, 2017
- 417 Magazine Best Board Members, 2016
- Breast Cancer Foundation of the Ozarks Advisory Board
- Springfield Metro Rotary
Charter member; Board of Directors
- University Child Care Center Board
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
Board of Directors (6 Year Term)
- Harmony House Board of Directors
Classes and Seminars
- Seminar lecturer for the University of Missouri School of Law, The Missouri Bar and other organizations
- Adjunct Professor at Drury University, Paralegal Studies program
Faculty Chair of the department, 1988 – 2000